You aren’t alone in paying taxes, but not everyone does.
Based on the latest data compiled by the IRS in 2018, what follows are a few facts about your fellow filers.
In 2018, 144.3 million Americans reported earning $11.6 trillion in adjusted gross income and paid $1.5 trillion in individual income taxes.
At the same time, as the number of returns filed and the amount of claimed income grew, the average tax rates fell across every income group and the total amount of income taxes paid decreased by $65 billion.
Also, the reported income of the top one percent of taxpayers fell slightly, to 20.9 percent; however, their share of federal individual income taxes rose by 1.6 percent.
And last, in 2018 the top 50 percent of all taxpayers paid 97.1 percent of all individual income taxes, while all other taxpayers paid the remaining 2.9 percent.